Effective date: This notice was updated on April 2, 2020.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual, including:
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Company Focus
We need to collect and process these types of Personal Information in order to provide the requested Services to you, or because we are legally required to do so. If you do not provide the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with the requested Services.
Collection of Personal Information
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services: We may collect Personal Information through the Services, e.g., when you sign up for a newsletter or register.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms (including from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected) and from other third parties.
Use of Personal Information
We and our service providers use Personal Information for legitimate business purposes, including the following:
Providing the functionality of the Services and fulfilling your requests.
- To respond to your inquiries, fulfill your requests, complete your transactions, and provide you with related customer service.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies, as well as marketing communications that we believe may be of interest.
We will engage in these activities to manage our relationship with you and/or to comply with a legal obligation.
Analysis of Personal Information for business reporting and providing personalized services.
- To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
We will provide personalized services either with your consent or because we have a legitimate interest.
Accomplishing our business purposes.
- For data analysis, such as to improve the efficiency of our Services;
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory, or contractual requirements;
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, such as to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft;
- For developing new products and services;
- For enhancing, improving, or modifying our Services;
- For identifying usage trends, such as understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to users;
- For determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users; and
- For operating and expanding our business activities, such as understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to our users so we can focus our energies on meeting our users’ interests.
We engage in these activities to manage our relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation, and/or because we have a legitimate interest.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- To third parties, to permit them to send you marketing communications, consistent with your choices.
- By you, on profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We may also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate, especially when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so: (a) to comply with applicable law, which may include laws outside your country of residence, to respond to requests from public and government authorities, which may include authorities outside your country of residence, to cooperate with law enforcement, or for other legal reasons; (b) to enforce our terms and conditions; and (c) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
In addition, we have a legitimate interest in using, disclosing or transferring your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual, such as:
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner such that it no longer reveals your specific identity
If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Policy.
Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- IP Address: Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you do, we may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined
You may limit certain tracking by disabling cookies in your web browser.
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other developer, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages.
Third Party Advertising
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures designed to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
Choices And Access
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
Relevant data protection laws provide you certain rights regarding the protection of your data, including:
- the right to access - Upon request, Association will confirm any processing of your Personal Data and, and provide you with a copy of that Personal Data in an acceptable machine-readable format;
- the right to rectification - You have the right to have Association correct any inaccurate Personal Data or to have Association complete any incomplete Personal Data;
- the right to erasure - You may ask the Association to delete or remove your Personal Data and we will do so in some circumstances, such as where we no longer need it (we may not delete your data when other interests outweigh your right to deletion);
- the right to restrict processing - You have the right to ask Association to suppress the processing of your Personal Data but Association may still store your Personal Data;
- the right to object to processing - You have the right to object to your Personal Data used in the following manners: (a) processing based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling); (b) direct marketing (including profiling); and (c) processing for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics;
- the right to data portability - you have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that is necessary to perform fulfillment of member benefits with you. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format;
- the right to complaint to a supervisory authority - You have the right to file a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the European Member State of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if you consider that the processing of Personal Data relating to you infringes upon your rights; and
- the right to withdraw consent - We rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your prior consent.
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communication from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by following the instructions contained in each such email or you can withdraw this consent at any time by visiting our preference center.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with our affiliates and third parties for their direct marketing purpose: If you would prefer that we not share your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with our affiliates and third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by visiting our preference center.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, restrict or delete Personal Information that you have previously provided to us, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of your Personal Information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we will only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include: (i) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Services to you; (ii) when we have legal obligation to which we are subject; or (iii) as advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
Use Of Services By Minors
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of sixteen (16), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under sixteen (16).
Jurisdiction And Cross-Border Transfer
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
Additional information regarding the EEA: Some of the non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here). For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your Personal Information.
Website Hosting: Association works with [ENTITY NAME] as its web hosting services provider. [ENTITY NAME] is located [LOCATION] and the Website are stored by [ENTITY NAME] in [LOCATION]. Association shares your data, including Personal Data, with our website hosting Service Provider for the purposes of processing your data pursuant to your use of the Services.
Data Hosting: Association works with [ENTITY NAME] as its data hosting services provider. [ENTITY NAME] is located [LOCATION] and Association’s data are stored by [ENTITY NAME] in [LOCATION]. Association shares your data, including Personal Data, with our website hosting Service Provider for the purposes of processing your data pursuant to your use of the Services.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
330 North Wabash Suite 2000
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.